[c-nsp] asr1001 question

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Jan 21 21:21:54 EST 2014

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 12:33:11 AM CiscoNSP List
wrote:

> - Are there 2 versions? - 1 that was released with an RP1
> and a second that was released with an RP2(Not an actual
> RP2, but close to it?)?  Some of the docs state 512,000
> IPv4 and 128,000 IPv6...Or Is this just outdated info,
> and only one version has ever been released with the
> "RP2"?

I think there has only been one hardware version.

I know they have discontinued the ASR1001-HDD, which shipped
with an integrated hard drive at 160GB.

They are now shipping the ASR1001, which is just 40GB hard
drive, I think...

> - Docs state that they can be upgraded to 16G DRAM, and
> supports 1M IPv4 or 1M IPv6 - I assume this is only with
> 8G+ DRAM installed? (And you only get benefits with 16G
> if running as an RR?)

The ASR1001 has an integrated 5Gbps ESP.

The ESP ships in 2.5Gbps bandwidth mode, and with an extra
license, you can increase aggregate throughput to 5Gbps.

4GB of control plane memory assures you 500,000 IPv4 or
500,000 IPv6 entries in the FIB.

8GB of control plane memory assures you 1,000,000 IPv4 or
1,000,000 IPv6 entries in the FIB.

16GB of control plane memory gives you similar FIB entry
numbers as the 8GB option, but coupled with the BGP-SD
feature, can provide for over 25,000,000 entries in the RIB
under scaled route reflector scenarios.

Mark.