[c-nsp] Cisco 4900M and Layer2 Broadcasts

Ivan cisco-nsp at itpro.co.nz
Tue Jul 1 05:51:26 EDT 2014

Problem solved with "no ip verify header vlan all".  It seems Cisco
4500/6500 (including the 4900M) switches do some verification of layer 3
headers (probably only the IPv4 ones as IPv6 had no issues).  This
happens even for layer 2 switched traffic.  It is almost certain that
the "HA" traffic is a little custom - at the very least I found the IP
header checksum always zero (and it wasn't any fancy NIC offloading).

So a few interesting commands

show platform software drop-port (especially the outout for InpL2AclDrop)

show platform hardware acl input entries static (especially the output
for Ipv4HeaderException)

And it seems this issue has been seen before, but Juniper has fixed the
issue.

"In Junos version 10.0 and below, the fabric link probes are using
Juniper proprietary IP datagrams, where IP Total Length field is set to
0" http://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB15141

http://juniper-frac.blogspot.co.nz/2009/09/deploy-srx-cluster-across-layer-2.html

Thanks to TAC.  I have had some long cases but this one was sorted nice
and quick!

Cheers

Ivan