[c-nsp] IPv6 duplicate address

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Jul 1 14:53:55 EDT 2014

On Tuesday, July 01, 2014 12:57:17 PM Ivan wrote:

> I have had an event where an interface got stuck in
> stalled state for much longer than is desirable.  I
> tried to fix it using "ipv6 nd dad attempts 5" but no
> luck.  I also tried disabling and enabling IPv6 on the
> interface that also didn't work.  Manually setting the
> link-local address (and setting back) fixed things, but
> I have a few questions.
>
> Does DAD just stay in stalled state until some kind of
> manual intervention takes place?  (Perhaps there is a
> method of have periodic retires?)
>
> Does "ipv6 nd dad attempts 5" help?  How often are
> attempts made by default.  I am thinking this could help
> prevent the stalled state in the future.

I remember this was happening on IOS XR in 3.9 and 4.0.x,
when Ethernet ports were looped for testing, and after the
loop is cleared, DAD keeps IPv6 from working until manual
intervention or a reboot.

Don't know if this is still the same in IOS XR 5, but I'd
imagine so. If I ever do get the time to test (or find out)
before anyone else chimes in, I'll let you know :-).

Don't know about any other Cisco platforms re: this issue.

Mark.