[c-nsp] 7206 Gigabit Ethernet Card - Strange behavior

Joseph Mays mays at win.net
Tue Jul 8 13:10:30 EDT 2014

I have a Cisco 7206 with a Gigabit Ethernet card in it. I’m getting what I think is anomalous behavior, but I’m not sure.

7206, NPE-400

Slot 1:
        Gigabit Ethernet Port adapter, 1 port
        Port adapter is analyzed
        Port adapter insertion time 13:47:46 ago
        EEPROM contents at hardware discovery:
        Hardware revision 1.0           Board revision A0
        Serial number     24455260      Part number    73-3144-04
        FRU Part Number:  PA-1GE=

        Test history      0x0           RMA number     00-00-00
        EEPROM format version 1

The card has an adapter that plugs into it that adapts it for gig copper. The thing is, it shows a link light and up/up from the moment the adapter is plugged in, regardless of whether or not a cable is plugged into the adapter. Is this normal behavior, or an indication that something is wrong with the adapter or card?