[c-nsp] 1G SFPs in built-in 10G ports on ASR9001

Rich Lewis RLewis at sis.tv
Tue Jul 15 14:10:37 EDT 2014

Hi

We have a new ASR9001 and this is our first experience of the ASR9K series and IOS-XR, so please forgive any stupid newbie errors! :-)

We're trying to hook it up to an ASR1002 via 1G SX SFPs. We can get this to work if we use one of the 1G ports on a 20x GE MPA card (though it took us a while to figure out that you needed the 'negotiation auto' command under the interface!), but we can't get it to work if we use the built-in 10G interfaces. There appears to be no similar 'negotiation auto' command on the 10G interface; we did find the 'transceiver permit pid all' command, but to no avail.

The SFP is a genuine labelled Cisco part (GLC-SX-MMD) and according to this list should be compatible in the 10G port: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6981.html#pgfId-206339

We're running 5.1.2.

Do you need some other special sauce to make a 1G SFP work in a 10G port?

Thanks
Rich.

Satellite Information Services Limited. Registered Office: Whitehall Avenue, Kingston, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, MK10 0AX. Company No. 4243307

The information in this email (which includes any files transmitted with it) is confidential and is intended for the addressee only. Unauthorized recipients are required to maintain confidentiality. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately, destroy any copies and delete it from your computer system.