[c-nsp] Question on monitoring CPU usage of EEM Policies

Daniel van der Steeg d.p.m.h.vandersteeg at student.utwente.nl
Tue Jul 22 16:16:10 EDT 2014

Hello all,

I have implemented two EEM Policies using TCL on a Cisco Catalyst 6500,
both of them running every X seconds. Now I am trying to find a way to
monitor the CPU and memory usage of these policies, to determine their
footprint.
I have found that the processes that spawn (EEM TCL Proc) can be followed
by polling the cpmProcExtUtil5SecRev, cpmProcExtMemAllocatedRev and
cpmProcExtMemFreedRev SNMP objects. However, this mostly returns 0% CPU
usage and a low amount of RAM used, while the overall system load increases
by around 10% CPU usage and a few megabytes of RAM when I start the
policies.

Also, the output of "show proc cpu sorted" does not give me a clear
picture, as the presented percentage per process is hardly accurate (nearly
all being < 1%).

I am wondering if there are any better solutions to monitor the added load
of my policies (including overhead) over time, without having to stop and
start them to look at the increase, because the traffic would be different
during these periods.

Thanks,
Daniel