[c-nsp] SSH problems on cisco generally

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Thu Jul 24 13:01:50 EDT 2014

On 07/24/2014 08:36 AM, Joerg Mayer wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 10:10:21PM -0700, Mike wrote:
>>      On all of my cisco boxes however, I can't login unless I disable
>> the ssh-agent as it seems to confuse the box. For example, with the
>> agent running and the SSH_AUTH_SOCK environment variable which tells
>> SSH how to talk to my agent, I get this:
>>
>> ssh -l mylogin some3560g.my.network.com
> Try ssh -o PreferredAuthentications=keyboard-interactive,password -l mylogin some3560g.my.network.com
>
> Ciao
>     Jörg
Bingo!

The above solves the problem. And in fact, if I simply change it to:

PreferredAuthentications=keyboard-interactive,publickey,password

I can ssh into my unix servers AND the cisco boxen without any other
steps, so this looks like a good default for me to set in my
~/.ssh/config file.

To the others who responded, when I did ssh -vvv, essentially the issue
appears as someone responded: There's a series of attempts at using
publickey authentication and (for me anyways, I have 4 keys in my
agent), when it runs out of attempts at the keys, it simply gives up.
Likely I could set up set up keys on each of the cisco I need but that
would unnecessarily complicate things.

Thanks all!

Mike-