[c-nsp] 2 to 3% packet loss on single VLAN on LAG interface

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Thu Jul 24 14:09:50 EDT 2014

Thanks for the feedback offline.

I spent some time on this in the last 36 hours.  Unfortunately turning off
port mirroring didn't help.  What I did notice, when adding more test
points, was that I was seeing 9 to 12 Mbps of traffic egressing a port on
the Brocade that had nothing but a SOHO router.  When I sniffed it it was
clear that it was unicast flooding.  I checked and re-checked, but at ~5000
MAC addresses we weren't exhausting the Brocade's tables nor the 7609's.  I
adjust MAC and ARP aging times down to shorter values (so that the 7609
wouldn't even forward the traffic if the ARP table for that IP was empty),
but also no change.

What did reduce the packet loss of almost zero and the reduced the unicast
flooding to ~50 kbps was shutting down the LAG member on the 6704 that was
the busier of the two 6704's (it's busier because the card also handles most
of our incoming Internet traffic).  If I unshut the LAG member the unicast
flooding and packet loss resumed.

So is this a symptom of some resources on the 7600 or the on the 6704?
Should I put the 10G port that handles the Internet traffic LAG member on
the same ASIC?

Frank