[c-nsp] xconnect with vlan rewrite between ME3600 and ASR9K

Ulrik Ivers ulrik.ivers at excanto.se
Fri Jun 13 05:04:42 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I'm having a problem getting traffic across an xconnect between a ME3600 and a ASR9K. Hoping someone can shed some light on what I'm missing. My gut feeling is that it has to do with the VLAN tag handling.

Setup:
CPE1 --- ME3600 -- MPLS -- ASR9K -- CPE2

Traffic is coming in tagged with VLAN tag 2014 from CPE1 and untagged from CPE2.

If I set it up with a vlan interface in ME3600 and running the xconnect on that interface things work.
However, we would like to have the xconnect directly on the service instance if possible, to avoid mac learning on the ME3600. And that I can't get to work. I've tried both POP:ing vlan tag 2014 on the ME3600 as well as PUSH:ing in ASR, but no luck.

The xconnect comes up OK, but no traffic between CPE1 and CPE2.

-- Working config ---
!! ME3600 !!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
service instance 2014 ethernet
  encapsulation dot1q 2014
  rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric
  bridge-domain 2014

interface Vlan2014
xconnect 1.1.1.51 2014 encapsulation mpls

!! ASR !!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1/18.1 l2transport
encapsulation untagged
mtu 1514

l2vpn
xconnect group GROUP1
  p2p CUST1
   interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1/18.1
   neighbor ipv4 1.1.1.12 pw-id 2014
-----------------

--- Tested config that does NOT work ---
!! ME3600 !!
int gi 0/1
service instance 2014 ethernet
  encapsulation dot1q 2014
  xconnect 1.1.1.51 2014 encapsulation mpls

!! ASR !!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1/18.1 l2transport
encapsulation untagged
rewrite ingress tag push dot1q 2014 symmetric
mtu 1510

l2vpn
xconnect group GROUP1
  p2p CUST1