[c-nsp] IOS: catch 22 when enabling new bgp neighbors

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 21 03:18:39 EDT 2014

Hi Andy,

>> neighbor 2001::123 remote-as 65005
>>

> Hi Lukas,
>
> Try adding the shutdown keyword on the first (remote-as) config line:
>
> test-router(config-router)#neighbor 192.0.2.100 remote-as 64511 shutdown
> test-router(config-router)#!!! rest of neighbor configuration
> test-router(config-router)#no neighbor 192.0.2.100 shutdown

That is exactly what I was looking for, great. The same suggestion
came from different people, off and on-list, thanks to all of them!

Some suggested:

> no bgp default ipv4-unicast

Which I'm actually using and but does something else (not enabling the
IPv4 address-family by default on BGP sessions via IPv6).

Other things mentioned:
- specifying the wrong remote-as first (will definitely workaround the problem)
- using peer-groups (I don't see how this would solve it, since I need to assign the neighbor to the peer-group first)
- null-route the neighbor IP (will also successfully workaround the problem)
- using configuration workarounds, like copying from flash to running (this probably accelerates the configuration but the race in the BGP configuration is still there)
- using IOS XR or JunOS :)

Very useful responses, thanks a lot!

Regards,

Lukas