[c-nsp] Cisco ASR 1k for CGN/LSN

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+cisconsp at eintellegonetworks.com
Sun Jun 22 06:14:24 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I am building a small specific purpose ISP for about 1000 users.  About 600
of the users need to be behind NAT444 (it is a student residential
environment).

Speeds of the users are NBN style (100/40, 50/20, 25/5, 12/1).  User
profile is residential.

Upstream transit will be a few hundred megs.

I'm wondering if the 1001 or 1002 with a 2.5 ESP or 5 ESP will handle the
load of the CGN/LSN.

Also, is perhaps there any limiting issues of the 1002-F (I know,
discontinued).

Does anyone have a matrix which might show what load the 2.5 and 5 and
perhaps 10 ESPs could handle for different numbers of users.  Also, perhaps
if the amount of RAM directly has an impact on the CGN/LSN capabilities and
performance.

Any personal experience on those platforms for low-end CGN/LSN would be
most welcome (off-list or on).

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering