[c-nsp] "Cisco's Commitment to Customers"

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 30 11:06:03 EDT 2014

Hi Jon,

> I'm currently dealing with TAC on the failure of a WS-6708 that I believe
> is connected with the defective memory component issue talked about here:
>
> http://blogs.cisco.com/news/ciscos-commitment-to-customers/
>
> i.e. it was working fine...the router was rebooted, after which, the card
> no longer passes boot-up diagnostics.
>
> This passage:
>
> Despite many of these products being out of warranty, Cisco has decided
> to take a charge of $655m related to the expected cost of managing these
> issues. We are taking this action to support our customers and partners.
> This charge was excluded from our non-GAAP financials, as we do not
> believe it is reflective of ongoing business and operating results.
>
> implies to me that Cisco plans to replace such cards regardless of
> smartnet coverage.

Well, this was a marketing blog post, what you read between the lines from
those texts is not necessarily what you get.

It seems to be more clear from the FAQ [1]:

Q: Do normal SmartNet and warranty entitlement rules apply?
A: Yes. Normal SmartNet and warranty entitlement rules remain in place and
will be applied by the Cisco TAC if you experience a failure in one of the
products listed in the Field Notices. *In other circumstances (eg. out of
warranty or out or contract), we'd encourage you to raise your concern
directly with your Cisco account team.*

So they are saying that if the product is out of warranty, contact your
account team, don't contact Cisco TAC. What your account team can do for
you? I don't know, but it doesn't seem like you will get the replacement
for free ...

Regards,

Lukas

[1] http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/memory.html#~faqs