[c-nsp] Upgrading to 40G

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Mar 1 08:04:49 EST 2014

On Saturday, March 01, 2014 02:39:07 PM Phil Mayers wrote:

> My view is that the real problem is treating ops and
> development as two different things done by two separate
> groups of people - a pervasive attitude in the IT
> industry as a whole, that leads to un-operable crap
> being thrown over the wall from development, while at
> the same time development has no idea what ops needs.

And this creates a huge gap.

Folk that translate RFC's into code may not necessarily
understand how their choice of implementation affects
network operation.

Some vendors have BU's that monitor these lists, and when
all the planets align, some actually go out and ask whether
implementing a feature (a certain way) has operational value
or not. This happens less often than it should, but it shows
that there is a gap that needs filling..

Operators have, for years, tried to get their word into
vendors. And the usual answer - "Show me the money". One
poster on a competing vendor's -nsp list suggested that
requests for new features and capabilities should be posted
via a web site, rather than trying to channel these through
your AM, because more than likely, those go into /dev/null
for the majority of operators.

Are operators talking more to their vendors than they are
the IETF? Yes. But some may argue that the IETF are mostly
vendors, so...

This is not an easy problem to solve - and if vendors
continue to use the "AM's-go-and-find-out-how-many-of-your-
customers-have-requested-this-feature" or "how-large-is-
your-customer's-deal" approach, we'll never fix this
problem. I appreciate that vendors have finite resources as
to do other areas in life, but we also can't ignore the
problem entirely.

Mark.