[c-nsp] Unique issue which is not making any sense, maybe not even Cisco related...

Mick O'Rourke mkorourke at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 21:47:55 EST 2014

We've seen similar sounding problems before. A couple of suggestions for
things to look at:

The default F5 config is auto last hop ie. it will forward to the MAC
address of the SVI from which the traffic originated not the HSRP for
return traffic by default. Look for potential dynamic return path issues or
you could turn off auto last hop - I wouldn't suggest turning it off
though, but ymmv.

F5's afaik run\participate in MST0 by default. I've experienced similar
symptoms post MST0 changes in the past. We disabled MST on the F5 units (on
a stick) in question to resolve the problem.

F5 and arp, vs linux devices with multiple interfaces:

The default arp_announce value for linux is '0' in
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/arp_announce, F5 appears to implement along
the lines of '1'. AFAIK you can't adjust the F5 implementation - at least
as of TMOS 11.2. Resolution has been to adjusting linux hosts to a value of
"1".

http://kb.linuxvirtualserver.org/wiki/Using_arp_announce/arp_ignore_to_disable_ARP

http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.32.24/Documentation/networking/ip-sysctl.txt#L766

arp_announce - INTEGER 770
<http://lxr.linux.no/linux+*/Documentation/networking/ip-sysctl.txt#L770>
       0 - (default) Use any local address, configured on any
interface 771 <http://lxr.linux.no/linux+*/Documentation/networking/ip-sysctl.txt#L771>
       1 - Try to avoid local addresses that are not in the tar