[c-nsp] OAM/CFM question on IOS-XR

Michiel Appelman michielappelman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 08:32:02 EDT 2014

Hi Herro,

Disclaimer: I have no experience with configuring 802.1ag OAM on Cisco, but have been experimenting with it extensively on Brocade equipment.

On 5 mrt. 2014, at 18:19, Herro91 <herro91 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) I "think" I should be seeing MIPs in my traceroute when there is a P
> router in between the two PEs, correct?

Unfortunately not. The OAM frame will be marked with a label (or multiple labels) at the PE which will cause the intermediate LSRs to forward the frame based on the label, without processing the OAM payload.

> 2) If the P router in between these PEs is just a transit node, what
> configuration is required to create the MIPs? I have seen the MIP
> autocreate all, but it seems to be tied to a service configuration under
> CFM which would not apply in the case of a transit/P router.

This I won’t be able to answer, but it won’t surprise me if this indeed isn’t possible, seeing as MIP’s on LSR’s are actually pretty useless (at least to the circuits running over the MPLS backbone).

-- Michiel Appelman