[c-nsp] BFD CPU hog and traceback on me3600 and isis flapping 15.3(3)S1a

Vitkovský Adam adam.vitkovsky at swan.sk
Mon Mar 17 11:36:37 EDT 2014

Hi folks,

Anyone ran into issues with BFD on me3600 running 15.3(3)S1a or 15.4(1)S1

This particular ring is up for about 3 weeks.
Yesterday on one of the nodes where no customers are connected yet one colleague of mine noticed some BFD process CPU hogs and some tracebacks and ISIS sessions flapping cause of the BFD flaps.
Upgrade to 15.4(1)S1 and reload did not help. What helped was to remove the "isis bfd" from the interface.

Strange enough when I added the "isis bfd" back today so that I can see what's going on and to open up the case with cisco nothing happened.
So this might be some slow buffer overflow.

Has anyone experienced something like this please?

adam