[c-nsp] NPE-G1s don't want to talk to each other over copper?

Rob Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Wed Mar 19 09:39:29 EDT 2014

Hi folks,

I have a small pile of NPE-G1s here, about to upgrade the routing
engines in the VXRs in $BROCOLO in an effort to eke out a couple of
more years from them.

So, I'm staging and made an interesting discovery: over the built-in
rj45 connectors they will talk to a switch (ex3200) but when cabled to
each other link will not come up.  Haven't tried a crossover cable to
see if they'll come up at 100m rather than gigabit, but this is
puzzling to me.

Tried 12.4 mainline and 15.x.  Upgraded the bootloader.  No joy.

Anyone have any ideas or is this a known shortcoming?

Thanks,

-r