[c-nsp] FCoE or FCIP over MPLS possible?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Wed Mar 19 15:31:56 EDT 2014

On Mar 19, 2014, at 8:48 AM, Mark Tinka wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 01:39:06 PM Youssef Bengelloun-
> Zahr wrote:
>
>> We have been working on the same problem but with a
>> different vendor.
>>
>> So far, no real clues on how to transport reliably FCoE
>> over WAN (MPLS in our case).
>>
>> I'm interested in any feedbacks you guys might have.
>
> We looked at this back in 2009. Basically, it was a no-go
> then. You could only reliably transport FCIP or iSCSI
> because that can run in asynchronous mode.
>
> FCoE or FC required DWDM infrastructure over short spans.

Also, no matter what you use, be aware of how the delay will affect
any applications running on top of your storage.  If you have the
"PostgreSQL Performance" book (awesome if you even dabble in PGSQL,
BTW), there is an excellent explanation of how disk latency will
affect your IOPS in the real world.

Plug some crazy latency numbers into this thing to get an idea of
what the delay on a long WAN link might do to your DB throughput:

http://www.wmarow.com/strcalc/

The parameter that you want to play with is probably the "average
I/O service time (ms)" field.

Charles