[c-nsp] NPE-G1s don't want to talk to each other over copper?

cnsp at marenda.net cnsp at marenda.net
Thu Mar 20 14:29:11 EDT 2014

> 802.3-2008 40.4.4 says:
>
> > Implementation of an automatic MDI/MDI-X configuration is optional
> for 1000BASE-T devices.

Just downloaded 802.3-2012 from the IEEE,
In Section3  40.8.2 (p269) explains, or tries to.
There is also the pinout for the two Variants, (incompatible to 10/100baseT
Xover).

So Iff you want to have autoneg OFF, you must use
the correct wiring. Switch MDI-X, device MDI,
if both are the same you must make use of the magic 1000baseT-crossover
Cable
at the farest possible end (so at the end-device, not on the switch,
not between any patchpanels on the way).

If you have autoneg ON, the pairs will be matched,
so normally, you can use simple straight patch-cords.

Hey, tomorrow I will call my local dealer for an GigabitCrossover Cable.
"I need a 5 feet 1000BaseT Crossover Cable Class D (for you: CAT5)
 according to IEEE Std 802.3-2012 Section Three"
He will think I got mad.
Or he will tell me: "Well, that's a relative new version of the standard,
So those cables are quite expensive, we do not have much on stock her, oops,
Currently sold out."

Juergen.