[c-nsp] X6708-10G-3C compatible with 7604 chassis?

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 10:40:07 EDT 2014

This might help you:

In the Cisco 6504 E, on the FAN-MOD-4HS fan-tray there is a switch at the
rear. This switch should be in the "A" position. See Figure 2.1.1.
This allows the fan to run in high-power mode. In this mode it generates an
airflow of 100 ft3/min per slot.

When the switch is in the "M" position it operates in the restricted-power
mode and generates only 75 ft3/min per slot. The WS-X6716-10GE line card
has a cooling requirement of 84 ft3/min. In this case it could prevent the
line card from powering up.

Note: on another FAN-MOD-4HS fan-tray the positions of the switch are
labeled "VARIABLE" and "FULL". The switch should be put in the "VARIABLE"
position.

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Lobo <lobotiger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Agreed.  But even after a reboot, the chassis is still not allowing this
> 6708 card to come up because it complains about insufficient cooling.
>
> This is pretty annoying as their documentation shows that the 7604 is
> compatible with this card but now we're starting to wonder if that's truly
> the case.
>
> Jose
>

> On 3/21/2014 9:42 AM, Phil Mayers wrote:
>
>> On 21/03/14 12:15, Lobo wrote:
>>
>>> Even though the cards are not completely compatible for totals # of
>>> routes (3C vs 3CXL) the system should default to the lowest card but I
>>> would think that it would still power up the card and let it function
>>> normally.
>>>

>> No; the PFC/DFCs must all match. The other PFC/DFC need to be
>> *downgraded* to non-XL mode, and that need a chassis reboot.

Tim:>