[c-nsp] 6880-X XL vs. ASR

Vitkovský Adam adam.vitkovsky at swan.sk
Fri May 2 05:28:47 EDT 2014

On 30/04/14 14:19, Mark Mason wrote:
> Looking at some potential edge redesign options when comparing
> 6880-X-XL [larger route table @ 2M IPv4] & ASR1004/1006 platforms.
> Thinking about leaving the edge routers to ASR's (could be more than
> 4 carriers - 1 per ASR) and then route-reflecting down to the new L3
> core/distribution. Moving the L3 / HSRP from the ASR edge down to the
> 6880 level and disposing of HSRP. Thoughts? Current designs? Thinking
> VSS @ the 6880 level good choice/bad choice? Would like to you know
> your thoughts...

Unless you need some XE specific features you can do it solely with a pair 6880s.
(Vanilla IOS 15.3 supports BGP Attribute Filter and Enhanced Attribute Error Handling features).
Since these are going to perform L3 termination point for all the VLANs there's no need for VSS and I think the better option is to keep two separate brains.

adam