[c-nsp] 6880-X XL vs. ASR

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon May 5 14:17:03 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 07:02:44PM +0100, Alan Buxey wrote:
> Obviously no love here for VSS etc
>
> But how is any of this any different not only to other virtual technologies (be they VLAN, MPLS, OTV etc) but to the code that you all rely on from cisco for the other things that keep the network running (spanning tree, EIGRP, OSPF, FIBs etc) ?
>
> Surely if you have code/quality issues then trust in ANY of the stuff is an issue and this isn't just a knee jerk reaction in classic luddite fashion?

Of course we don't trust any code Cisco produces.  The interesting question
is, what effects will a "oh, this packet looks nasty, crash!" bug have?

In our setup, we use standalone boxes (no VSS), with different IOS *trains*
on them, like 12.2SXI and 15.1SY, or such.  With the hope that certain
classes of bugs will not affect both trains in the same way, so one box
might crash while the other will continue to work.

Adding complexity to the control plane while at the same time coupling
things more tightly increases the likelyhood for "nasty bugs", while at the
same time increasing the *effect* of a nasty bug - double no-go in my
book.

And yes, I'm not drinking the "you can run your whole network using one
of our nice SDN controller boxes!!!" kool aid.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de