[c-nsp] Subscriber aggregation on ASR1K

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Thu May 8 16:26:17 EDT 2014

Howdy,

     I have a nice shiny new ASR1k that I am planning on doing
subscriber aggregation on, and I'd like some advice.

     Today I primarily use PPPoE to deliver broadband connectivity and
it's worked well across both dsl and wireless. In my new deployment I
want to add DHCP subscriber support, and I further want to implement
some basic QoS features per subscriber. Im wondering if it's really
practical and possible to have Qos policies that apply to both types of
subscribers? I don't want to interfere too much with customer traffic
flows other than to help them make better use of their links, say by
making sure Voip and streaming video gets ahead of bulk file transfers /
windows updates / bittorrent / etc (and I'm sure there's likely a
slightly longer list than this example, but you get the idea).

I have been reading up on NBAR but that doesn't seem available to pure
ip subscribers? I could throw every ip subscriber into their own vlan
(greater administrative burden - my dslams will do this with manual
configuration of each subscriber port) but thats not really ideal. How
would QoS really be implemented in a broadband consumer type of
deployment? Just looking for ideas, thanks for reading.

Mike-