[c-nsp] Multicast group but no traffic

Vitkovský Adam adam.vitkovsky at swan.sk
Sat May 10 03:20:33 EDT 2014

Well talking multicast you need to specify what route (state) are you seeing as well as which PIM mode are you running across your WAN.

So you see either just the (*,g) state -means the designated router for the LAN segment as displayed by the cmd: " sh ip pim int" (Nexus) has translated the IGMP membership reports(igmp joins) into PIM Joins and sent them towards the RP (would be good to know which of your routers is RP).
You might actually be getting the stream if PIM is running in BIDIR or Dense mode -the stream can be checked via "sh ip mroute active".

Or you see also the (s,g) state -means the RP has an active source for the previously requested group or has send a register message towards the source.
In either case as the source starts to send traffic down the shared tree (*,g) this is how the Nexus will learn about the source of the source for the group and can join source tree by sending PIM Join towards the Source (s,g) state.  -the stream can be checked via "sh ip mroute active".

adam