[c-nsp] standby preempt delay [after reload]

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon May 12 10:04:09 EDT 2014

On 12/05/14 14:28, Randy wrote:
> I have a situation where 'standby x preempt delay minimum 120' doesn't
> seem to have an effect after a reload [12.2(33)SXI11] -- e.g. the hsrp
> groups are immediately preempted and met with an empty routing table for
> a couple of minutes.

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but one way we've
handled this locally is to use ip route tracking to keep HSRP in standby
until one or more routes are reachable.

Something like:

track 10 ip route <ip> <mask> reach
   delay down 5 up 15
track 11 ip route <ip2> <mask2> reach
   delay down 5 up 15

track 100 list bool or
   object 10
   object 11

int VlanX
   standby 0 prio 103
   standby 0 track 100 decrement 4
   standby 0 preempt delay reload 180

Obviously picking the right routes is important; we track the IGP routes
to the BGP RRs, which is not ideal as for us BGP normally lags IGP by a
handful of seconds, but it is sufficient for our purposes.

As above we do have "preempt delay reload" but not "minimum". As far as
I remember, the "delay reload" is working ok, but we don't reload that
often ;o)