[c-nsp] ASR1001 with SPA-5X1GE-V2

Chris Balmain chris at team.dcsi.net.au
Tue May 13 04:33:38 EDT 2014

Hey all,

We recently acquired a couple of second-hand SPA-5X1GE-V2 to use in an ASR1001, but I'm having some trouble getting them to work.

When I insert the card into the router, I get the following message:

%SPA_OIR-3-UNSUPPORTED: The SPA-5X1GE (0x44E) in subslot 0/1 is not supported by the IOSXE-RP module

The interfaces are not added and the status LED on the SPA remains unlit. Executing "hw-module subslot 0/1 start" results in the error message above being repeated.

I tested on 3.8.1S and 3.11.0S, with two separate cards (both from one supplier) and in two separate ASR1001s with 4GB and 8GB memory. After an hour searching for any documentation to state that the ASR1001 does not support SPA-5X1GE-V2, I couldn't find anything to support the results I'm seeing.

Has anyone else got SPA-5X1GE-V2 functioning on the ASR1001 specifically? Anyone seen this issue before? Have I received bad hardware?

Thanks and regards,
Chris

Diagnostic output below-

#sh hw-module subslot 0/1 entity
WARNING: This command is not intended for production use
and should only be used under the supervision of
Cisco Systems technical support personnel.

Entity state for SPA in subslot 0/1
SPA type:                 (0x44E) 5xGE SPA
last spa type:            (0x44E) 5xGE SPA
oper_status:              (4) out of service
card status:              (1) partial
last trap: spa type:      (0x44E) 5xGE SPA
last trap: oper status:   (4) out of service
last_spa_env_get_ok:      false
last_spa_env_read_time:   (0) 968682 msecs ago
resync_reqd:              false
resync_count:             0

SPA physical index:       1280
SPA container index:      1026

no SPA plugin found

#sh hw-module subslot 0/1 fpd

                             H/W   Field Programmable   Current   Min. Required
Slot Card Type               Ver.  Device: "ID-Name"    Version      Version
 0/1 SPA-5X1GE   <DISABLED>  0.655 ????????????           ?.?         ?.?