[c-nsp] Billing per Mb (Large ISPs)

Artem Viklenko artem at viklenko.net
Sat May 24 13:47:45 EDT 2014

22.05.2014 07:13, CiscoNSP List пишет:

> Hi,
>
> cents per/mb (Based on assigned IP address(es)), is still quite prevalent here in Australia - What do the "larger" ISP's use to manage this?  I cant imagine they are using netflow?

Just curious... what is the point nowadays to bill per megabyte instead
of flat rate or at least 95-th percentille?

Understand that in some conditions it can be valuable, but now only
mobile access comes to mind. But in this case you actually have some
kind of session maintainance (let's say RADIUS) so you have actual
values of tx/rx bytes per session.

If you provide native IP over Ethernet or a such, why to bill per
megabyte? Isn't it better to bill by port speed or 95-th percentille?

I'm don't think that our ISP is large enougth, but several years ago
we stop to bill per mb and move to bill by bandwidth. Still use NetFlow
for laws issues (here in Ukraine) and internal statistics.

Also, as I know many ISP in Europe doesn't bill per mb but load also.

Thanks!

> Cheers.

Sincerely yours,
 Artem Viklenko.