[c-nsp] Basic BGP Cisco Router

Dan Brisson dbrisson at uvm.edu
Sun May 25 16:45:31 EDT 2014

I'm wondering what folks would recommend for a very basic BGP router of
the Cisco variety.  The scenario is that I want to introduce a second
ISP to my Internet edge.  I don't have very high bandwidth needs -
current connection is 20Mb/s and the new one will probably be 50Mb/s.  I
plan to use BGP to advertise my address space to both ISPs with the main
goal really being that I want to ensure that I never drop off the
Internet.  I don't really care about best path TO the Internet, but want
to make sure people can get to me.  That said, I plan to just take a
default route from both providers which makes me think I shouldn't need
much of a router.

So I'm looking at basic default routing via BGP, about 75Mb/s of
throughput needed, and would like (3) 100mb or 1Gig interfaces. Seems
like a 2900 series router would work but would love to hear what folks
think.

Thanks!