[c-nsp] Setting CS0 on ARP traffic

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Thu May 29 08:20:31 EDT 2014

On Thu, 29 May 2014 22:04:10 +1000, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu>
wrote:

> On Thursday, May 29, 2014 01:50:34 PM Tony wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately that isn't an option. The carrier is NBN
>> (National Broadband Network - Australia) a monopoly
>> government backed provider that has been tasked with
>> deploying FTTH to replace the existing copper CAN. These
>> are essentially fibre services that are replacing
>> existing copper/DSL services.
>
> If the government are running the network, figures.
>
> If they've outsourced it to a "professional company" to
> operate, even worse.
>
> Just for giggles, send traffic not marked with CS0 and see
> what happens. You'd be surprised how many networks advertise
> a capability but haven't actually enabled it in practice.

It gets dropped. That's how I originally found out about the
"requirement", ARP wasn't getting through. Did some packet traces and
found ARP's not making it through. Questioned carried as to why this was
the case and they did a packet capture and said that ARP traffic was
marked as DS6 and so it was getting dropped.

As per their own documentation (p22):

"For all NNI configurations, any ingress traffic that does not map to a
provisioned CVC traffic class will be discarded at ingress"

http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco/documents/sfaa-wba-nebs-product-tech-spec_20131219.pdf

regards,
Tony.