[c-nsp] purpose of asr management port?

Hagen AMEN hagen.a.amen at multco.us
Thu May 29 19:56:17 EDT 2014

It has been my experience, that as long as you tie mgmt services to the vrf
that is hard coded to the Gig0 interface, it works perfectly fine. It does,
of course, need to connect to a network that has a path to your AAA, NMS,
etc.

While I don't likely have what some would consider a large deployment, all
of my ASR1Ks have been happily managed via the built-in mgmt interface.

--
Hagen

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 12:04 PM, Mike <mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The more I look at it, the value of the onboard management port seems to
> be zero. While I love the idea of out of band and so forth, there are
> things like aaa / netflow / snmp / ssh and so forth that I want to be able
> to do but apparently can't be done with the build-in port, and so I'm going
> to burn an official gig port to do those jobs instead.
>
> Can anyone give me a concrete use case for the built in management gig
> port or should I just treat it like an unwanted appendage and move on?
>
> Mike-

Hagen Amen : Multco Network : 503-988-5227