[c-nsp] ipv6 RA's for learning default gateway for end systems (hosts)

Aaron aaron1 at gvtc.com
Thu Nov 6 16:59:00 EST 2014

RA's (router advertisements, aka, icmpv6 type 134)..

Is the receipt of RA's the only dynamic/automatic way for IPv6 clients to
learn about their default gateway?

I have encountered an occasion in dsl and now in cable modem where RA's
don't seem to get to the cpe ipv6 end point.  When I put in a static route
into this device it's good.  I wonder if this means that I have some work to
do in getting my dsl and cable modem communities fully ipv6 capable.  I mean
maybe there is some of the equipment I'm testing with just isn't ipv6 ready
yet.  Thoughts?

Does DHCPv6 allow for default router option?  What are other ways to get
default router into a ipv6 cpe ?

Aaron