[c-nsp] MPLS-AWARE NETFLOW

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Thu Nov 20 01:53:56 EST 2014

On 20 Nov 2014, at 13:06, SECURITY @ CYTANET wrote:

> Is it possible to capture and decode MPLS packets form MPLS CORE links
> (P to P links) using netflow? We have a Netflow system but it does not
> understand MPLS packets of core links.
> Do we need any special configuration on the routers? (CRS and GSRs).

It depends upon the platform, train, release, throttle, and linecards,
as well as the NetFlow collection/analysis system you're using.

NetFlow is primarily of use at edges - peering edge, transit edge,
customer aggregation edge, etc.  Why would you want to collect it from
the core?  I can see (and advocate) having NetFlow enabled on core
routers for interactive troubleshooting via the CLI, but why export it,
when there's more value in exporting it from the edges?