[c-nsp] ASR920

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Mon Nov 24 08:43:05 EST 2014

>Did you get the 24 port versions, we are going to start evaluation on
>these soon, hopefully worth the wait!

Hi James,
No, we got the 12-port version because at the time we ordered, the 24-port hadn't been "officially" announced and was not shipping yet.  I played around with it over the weekend and I didn't find anything out of the ordinary.  It seems to accept all our existing QoS policy-maps from the ME3600X (will need to actually test them this week).  Of course, now that I found that the documentation is not actually 100% for the ASR920, I have serious doubts about what is and isn't supported, so it's going to increase my testing time considerably.

Functionally, the only other thing that we're not used to since this is our first ASR, is that there are no SVIs - switching seems to be done with bridge-domains and BDIs.

There's no RJ45 serial console - it's all USB, which is only slightly annoying.  Also, the power cables are C16 IEC, which uses a different plug design than 99% of our existing in-stock cables.  This is more annoying because now we can't just grab any power cable and use it, but I suppose I understand the need to switch to this type of connector.

If anyone else has any information to share about the ASR 920, either privately or to the list, please let me know.  We're very excited about this new model, as it really lowers the barrier of entry for MPLS to the access layer for us.  We're able to cut our switching hardware costs significantly with this router.

-evt