[c-nsp] Active/Standy ASA Firewalls are having duplicate IP issue on failover

David White, Jr. (dwhitejr) dwhitejr at cisco.com
Tue Nov 25 15:34:04 EST 2014

Hi Ahsan,

The customer cannot configure the 'same' IP address on both ASAs in an
Active/Standby pair.
Each ASA's outside interface must have it's own IP (or the Standby could
be configured without an IP - but in that case the physical interface
would not be monitored for all failures).

When the ASAs failover, they swap both IPs and MAC addresses -
therefore, they shouldn't run into a 'duplicate MAC' case.  Both ASAs
will send out GARPs to update the CAM/ARP tables of adjacent devices.

Why isn't configuring a /29 acceptable to the customer?  It is the only
way to allow the ASA pair the IPs it needs to have failover configured
properly.

Sincerely,

David.