[c-nsp] Cisco IIH padding

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Nov 26 05:27:35 EST 2014

On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 11:08:53 PM Vitkovský Adam
wrote:

> Interesting I never heard of the "always" option one
> learns something new every day. Though there's still
> this IIH padding madness when it gets to the actual size
> of the IIH datagram and the allowed offset between CLNS
> MTU and the actual IIH size.

		An operational example:

We use "clns mtu" where there exist physical limitations on
the link or the port.

In our case, CSR1000v runs on servers whose NIC's support
9,000 bytes maximum. Our network runs 9,192 bytes in the
core. This causes an MTU mismatch between the CSR1000v and
the rest of the network.

The solution - physical MTU on the CSR1000v is set to 9,000
bytes (maximum supported), but "clns mtu 8000" is used to
get the initial padding through and have the IS-IS
adjacencies form.

To avoid packet drops/blocks of BGP update messages, TCP MSS
is set to 1,500 bytes on the CSR1000v. This ensures BGP
messages do not get stuck in Adj-RIB-Out queues when transit
MTU between the CSR1000v and the rest of the network does
not match.

Mark.