[c-nsp] SPAN limitations on already-mirrored traffic

Painting, Stuart Stuart.Painting at TheAA.com
Thu Nov 27 03:44:33 EST 2014

This isn't something as simple as "bring up another port on the
switch", is it?

The switch may be discarding the traffic because there is
nowhere to send it (the SPAN port may only work if the traffic
is traversing the switch).

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp [mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Pierre Emeriaud
Sent: 26 November 2014 19:17
To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: [c-nsp] SPAN limitations on already-mirrored traffic

Folks,

I'm having difficulties to monitor traffic already mirrored from
another equipment.

Basically, i'm just trying to use the switch (2970, 12.2(25)SE) as a
media converter, from fiber to copper gig.

The traffic coming from the fiber (gi0/25) is from another equipment
(ALu 7750, debug mirror if that matters) and thus has no valid
destination mac address on the 2970. Lots of different vlans on this
port.

So I assumed that a span session from port gi0/25 to gi0/24 should
copy all incoming traffic, independantly of the destination mac.

However this doesn't work, like if all traffic was dropped because of
unknown destination (all other ports down) before it was mirrored to
gi0/24.

Config is pretty basic:
Switch#sh run | i mon
monitor session 1 source interface Gi0/25 rx
monitor session 1 destination interface Gi0/24

Switch#sh int g0/24
GigabitEthernet0/24 is up, line protocol is down (monitoring)

Switch#sh int g0/25 | i packets in
     561890 packets input, 723169677 bytes, 0 no buffer

Switch#sh int g0/24 | i packets out
     0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns

I tried to configure the two ports as switchport trunk, access in the
same vlan (with sufficient mtu to allow already tagged traffic), but
also no switchport (how is that even possible on a 2970?), no luck.

Am I hitting a hardware limitation or is there something I missed?

TIA,
pierre