[c-nsp] ipv6 cmts (uBR7246VXR) and arris cable modem TM602G

JF Tremblay jean-francois.tremblay at viagenie.ca
Thu Oct 16 10:45:21 EDT 2014

On Oct 15, 2014, at 3:07 PM, Aaron <aaron1 at gvtc.com> wrote:

> Y'all know if this works ?  Trying to get ipv6 (6vpe) working on cisco cmts
> (uBR7246VXR) and arris cable modem TM602G

It probably works, but your mileage will vary a lot depending of which software versions are installed (CMTS and CM).

Which firmware version do you have on the 602? Proper IPv6 support only showed up in 6.4 (if my memory doesn’t fail me).  Also, is the CM address in IPv6? (at some point it was a prerequisite for these modems to have their management in v6 for the CPE to have it, but it’s probably no longer true). It might be a good first step to try the CM in v6 first.

The 602 being a Docsis 2.0 CM/MTA, it’s probably easier to make this work with a D3.0 CM first. The Moto SB6120 comes to mind, if you can get your hands on one, they’re probably cheap enough these days. SB6180, TM722, TM822 and DCM475 are other options I’ve seen working well in v6.

> V6 works from cmts to internet. just not across rf domain towards modem and
> cpe.
> cmts0.test#ping vrf one www.cisco.com

You’ll probably want to do this ping with specific IPv6 addresses in your bundle as a source, to be sure they are routed properly.

> cmts0.test#sh ver | in IOS
> Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (UBR7200P-JK9SU2-M), Version 12.2(33)SCD7,
> RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

SCD is a bit old for IPv6 support, although it could work. SCE had better support. SCG was the first version with complete working 6PE/6VPE support on the 10k, as far as I remember. I never tested it the 7200s though.

JF