[c-nsp] Traffic Generators

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Oct 21 08:59:37 EDT 2014

On (2014-10-20 14:34 -0400), f287cd76 at opayq.com wrote:

Hey,

> I'm looking for an opensource / free traffic generator that handles IMIX and other standard load tests.I'm using IPERF now, but this is simply a load gen.  No IMIX etc

IMIX is somewhat moving target and depends who you are and what your products
are. So you may want to be more specific about your goals to ensure you're
getting tool which meets them.

When it comes to minimum size packets, I'm not aware of open source software
that can congest 1GE port. Operating systems are not really tuned to do 1Gbps
UDP streams on small packets. You can achieve that, even more, but you need to
go quite low level, UDP socket you must forget immediately event with
sendmmsg/recvmmsg. Raw sockets and modern CPU and you'll probably be able to
reach 1Gbps per core, but I don't know software available that would be
productized even to iperf level here, would love to hear about one.

I wonder why don't we have Intel DPDK based simple UDP network tester, just so
that we could prove at least no packet loss between A-B?
Intel DPDK likely could do almost 10Gbps on modern core, so over 10x that of
iperf, which can't hit even 1Gbps.

--
  ++ytti