[c-nsp] cisco memory bug / propabilities?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Oct 31 10:24:41 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 10:10:35AM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> >Mmmh, this might be worth a try :-) - I'm feeling a bit lazy today - is
> >there a list of part numbers somewhere (particularily sup720, sup720-10G
> >and 6704/6708)?  Quick googling didn't turn up anhyting useful...
>
> Are you asking about part numbers affected by this defect or part numbers
> for the memory modules themselves?

For the memory modules.  I do not have spares for all the modules that
might be potentially affected, and in some sites, I do not want to send
engineers on-site for the reboot without something in their pockets that
they can use to fix the issue, if need arives (no "4h on-site" contracts)
- so if they just take along the memory modules that might be relevant,
it's not a much to carry and should be good enough to fix things...

> When I contacted one of our parts sources for pricing on spare memory
> modules, I was kind of surprised to be told the 1gb module for a Sup720 is
> a different part than the same size module for a 6708.  I don't know if
> they're really not interchangeable or if cisco just slapped different part
> numbers on the same modules for different uses.

Well, it might be the same module with a different number in EEPROM, like
the various SFP part numbers they have...

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de