[c-nsp] Upgrade NPE-400 to NPE-G1

Rich Davies rich.davies at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 17:14:51 EDT 2014

Joseph,

Some things to consider here:

- The NPE-G1 you plan on using, I would boot this up in a spare 7206
chassis and confirm that it boots up normally without any abnormal errors.
 Test it out if you have a spare 7206 chassis and a power supply.

- The NPE-G1 has an integrated IO (input output) - meaning the old IO board
on the front of the 7206 (with the DB25 console and aux ports and 10/100
eth port) you remove that and rely on controlling (configuring) the NPE-G1
via its integrated IO (the NPE-G1 has RJ-45 console right on it...  so you
just take the old IO board out of the front, swap the NPE 400 and NPE-G1
and boot it up.

- The GIGE ports on the NPE-G1 have higher bandwidth capacity than the PCI
bus on the 7200.   Try to use the 10/100/1000 gige connections directly on
the NPE-G1 versus using a Gige or FastE port adapter will save CPU.

- This is not hot swappable you will have downtime during this swap.

- As long as the IOS that is on the NPE-G1 has the same feature sets that
you currently rely on with the NPE-400 your configuration should be able to
move over.   Your NPE-400 configuration is stored on NVRAM so again best
thing to do is get copy of current config (either via TFTP or copy/paste),
boot up the NPE-G1 in spare chassis, and configure it.   Then when its time
to do the swap now you are just swapping the NPE's (and pulling out the IO
board) and wont have to worry about trying to config it on the fly during
your maintenance using a new route processor.

I hope this helps.

Rich