[c-nsp] Traffic engineering in mixed OSPF/iBGP environment

Vitkovský Adam adam.vitkovsky at swan.sk
Tue Sep 23 07:56:28 EDT 2014

Hi Garry,

Seems you are struggling with the Type-1 vs Type-3 LSAs problem that we dealt with on the list a few weeks back.

Consider the below from a view point of CoreR1.

It's because intra-area LSAs are preferred compared to inter-area LSAs.
The super-backbone(MP-BGP->OSPF) introduces LSAs from the remote site as Type-3 into the LSDB of a local PE and if the local PE happens to have a Type-1 LSA from a directly connected link than that one is preferred (even though it has a higher metric). So you can either make both LSAs to appear as Type-1 using sham-link or you can make both to be type-3 using different areas on each site.

adam