[c-nsp] OT: Enterprise (Not ISP) Maintenance Windows

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri Sep 26 15:14:07 EDT 2014

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014, Scott Voll wrote:

> For those of you working in an enterprise, company, agency, etc.  Do you
> have a standard (network) maintenance windows?
>
> If so, when?  How often?  Can you schedule anything in it, or if it will
> cause an outage does it need to go through 3+ layers of meetings and buy
> off to get it approved before you can schedule it?

This is liable to be one of those questions that will get you 100
different answers from 100 different people.

In my environment (large .edu), our standard maintenance window is
Saturday 11 PM to Sunday AM.  That's for bigger/more complex changes that
are more likely to have user impact (non-emergency hardware
replacements/upgrades, code upgrades on network devices, significant
routing policy changes, etc).

We also do routine changes nightly at 9 PM, such as VLAN/firewall zone
creations, ACL modifications, and other changes that have well-known
behavior and a low likelihood of user impact.

Anything outside of those windows needs to be reviewed and approved up the
chain of command.

jms