[c-nsp] OT: Enterprise (Not ISP) Maintenance Windows

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Sep 29 08:02:27 EDT 2014

On (2014-09-26 14:42 -0700), Scott Voll wrote:

Hi,

> For those of you working in an enterprise, company, agency, etc.  Do you
> have a standard (network) maintenance windows?
>
> If so, when?  How often?  Can you schedule anything in it, or if it will
> cause an outage does it need to go through 3+ layers of meetings and buy
> off to get it approved before you can schedule it?
>
> I'm just trying to understand what the norm is, "in the real world".

Once a week is norm from my POV, and which day that is, seems arbitrary. Some
prefer weekend, for perceived minimal customer discomfort.
Personally I think in countries where weekend is saturday+sunday, thursday is
best day for maintenance. Then when you do cause problem in the maint window,
you'll have relaxed customers at friday reporting it in, already ready to wind
back for the weekend.

If you do work on satuday, chances are you won't hear about the issue until
monday, and then everyone is angry as they are looking to get some work done.

For us customers need to be notified 14 days in advance and before that the
work needs to be addressed by change management process, it sounds heavy, but
it's not.
We also do unannounced work in maint windows, which shouldn't cause outages,
but may if we do mistake or if software does not work like the PPT claimed.

--
  ++ytti