[c-nsp] RR Client in different AS?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Apr 1 04:57:19 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 10:19:01AM +1100, CiscoNSP List wrote:
> Quick question (I hope!) - A customer has an RR that successfully
> peers/distributes routes to RR-clients in the same AS...they have
> added another "network", running a different AS, and have successfully
> peered to the RR(So added the new networks router as an RR-client,
> but with a different AS)....the RR is advertising all learned routes
> from the "original" network to the "new" network(sh ip bgp nei x.x.x.x
> advertised-routes), but the "new" network(With the different AS) is only
> accepting the default route? (There are no inbound policies on the new
> networks RR-client router).

Please stop calling this "route-reflector" - it is not.  A route-reflector
has very precisely defined meaning: it's a behavioural change on an *iBGP*
session.

On eBGP-Sessions, normal behaviour is to forward the announcement anyway,
so this is just "a standard eBGP (multihop) session".

Most likely the next-hop sent by the central router to the "new AS" is
not reachable, so the paths are dropped.  But without looking at
"show ip bgp <prefix>" on the receiving router, this is just crystal balling.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de