[c-nsp] Trigger for IP FRR

Dhamija Amit amiitdhamija at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 8 11:50:47 EDT 2015

 Hi

I have a question for trigger on IP FRR, apart from Link/Protocol Adj down can IP FRR be triggered by Link down LSA/LSP updates.

I am using below topology:-

            RTR-C
         /            \
       /                 \
RTR-A -----SW----RTR-B

A and B are connected via switch.
A and C and B and C are connected directly.

A and B are running BFD with higher BFD timers with detection is approx. equal to 1 secs.

What i noticed when we fail the link between RTR-A and SW , RTR-A switches to alternate path as port connected with SW is down.
However B also converge to C before BFD timer expire, and traffic loss is approx. 200 msecs.(B---A)

I did some packet captures and noticed link down LSA on B is arriving earlier then BFD control timer expiration. Is it possible for IP/FRR to trigger based on Link down LSA/LSP updates.

Thanks
Amit Dhamija