[c-nsp] ASR1006 ESP10/20

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Apr 16 02:20:05 EDT 2015

On 15/Apr/15 22:26, Sharlon Carty wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am looking to purchase a cisco ASR1006. My needs is less than 10Gbps of
> traffic, but I need about 5 10GigE ports. Don't want to LAG 1GigE ports,
> b/c of cross connect costs. So I am considering either the ESP10 or ESP20.
>
> Will the ASR1000-6TGE work fine with ESP10 or 20? Or do I need a ESP40 or
> higher just to for the card to work eventhough I have less than 10Gb
> traffic.
>
> Also will be included is SPA with 10 1GigE interfaces.

If you plan to go line rate on most of those 10Gbps ports, I'd start
with an ESP40.

Otherwise, an ASR9001 or MX80 might be a better fit.

The ASR1000 boxes, for more, are great for a reasonable mix of Ethernet
and non-Ethernet SPA's, particularly in low-density applications. If you
want that many 10Gbps ports in one chassis, you're better off with one
of the platforms I mention above.

Mark.