[c-nsp] One Cat6k/Sup2T is software switching, its identical partner is not

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Mon Apr 20 11:39:58 EDT 2015

Traffic destined to the switch rather than through the switch is generally software switched. Too much software switched traffic causing CPU issues could cause other traffic not to be installed in the ASIC causing a cascade failure.

Also, since you are running HSRP, what do you have your "mac-address-table aging-time" set to on both boxes? You might be running into asymmetrical traffic flows causing unicast flooding. Depending on your traffic levels, this could cause major issue. The recommended setting is around 14400, which is not the default. Google for either the command or 6500 unicast flooding for details.

During a maintenance window, I probably would suggest doing a complete power off, reseat the cards, and see if that makes any difference. I know of a few ASIC bugs that have been resolved over the years that are only fixed with either a linecard reset or a complete powerdown. The multicast ASIC bug we ran into on route topology changes was finally fixed in 12.2(33)SXI14 or later. Make sure you are running the latest linecard firmware release as well (at least 12.2(18r)S1)

----
Matthew Huff             | 1 Manhattanville Rd
Director of Operations   | Purchase, NY 10577
OTA Management LLC       | Phone: 914-460-4039