[c-nsp] Slightly off-topic - Network Monitoring software

Raymond Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Fri Apr 24 21:16:12 EDT 2015

> I would also add Nagios to the list.  Open NMS has also been useful in the
> past and groundwork was interesting all be it expensive for the fully
baked
> commercial version.

Look at the OMD version of Nagios.  It provides good alerting, plus has
charting for all the data it collects, plus has an extensive list of
plugins.  I spent a some time getting  it set up in a data center
environment:  routers, switches, hypervisors, guests (windows and open
source), storage, ....   Now when something changes state, anywhere, we hear
about it.  And with the charts, we get a historical background of event
generators.

Configuration is through a gui or through configuration files.  The people
who put together OMD did an excellent job of eliminating the repetitiveness
of the Nagios configuration files, and instead provided a less verbose but
more expressive syntax.

> On Apr 24, 2015, at 12:00 AM, CiscoNSP List <cisconsp_list at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > Slightly off-topic, but we currently use Solarwinds - It works, is
functional,
> but some parts of it (Alerting for example), I find a bit cumbersome.
> >
> > Ive had a look at some alternatives, and came across Opmantek....had a
> look at a demo, and first impressions were positive...looks good,
Interface
> appears intuitive+fairly easy to modify....just wondering if anyone is
using it
> in production, and how they find it?
> >
> > Cheers.

> --