[c-nsp] 7204VXR replacement suggestions needed

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Apr 30 11:39:12 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 11:22:44AM -0400, Steven Pfister wrote:
> We have a client that has an aging 7204VXR that they're using as a
> border router. I am trying to come up with options for a replacement.
> Since they're all Cisco, I was thinking about an ASR1002-X, but I was
> told to get quotes on equipment from other vendors as well. It needs 10
> gigabit ethernet upstream, 10 gigabit to the LAN, plus there is a
> (probably temporary) 1 gigabit ethernet backup link to the ISP. It's
> doing BGP, getting a default route, plus a small table of Internet2
> routes.

"full BGP" or "receive a default route plus a bit of I2"?

If I understood this right, one of the L3 switches (3750/3650 series)
or an ASR920 *might* actually do the job for you - fast, BGP to some
limit, and *cheap* in comparison.

For a full table and 2x 10G, it would be ASR1k or ASR9001, but that
would be like 5-10x the price of an ASR920...

(Avoiding the question about "other vendors" because I have no idea)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de