[c-nsp] erspan - me3600

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Mon Aug 3 12:48:30 EDT 2015

On 08/03/2015 08:00 AM, Waris Sagheer (waris) wrote:
> That’s correct. ME3600X does not support ERSPAN.

Ok so the me3600x only supports local span...? this is going to
complicate things.

     I'm actually trying to monitor a 10g interface on an asr1000, to
which this me3600x is dumping off on it's 10g interface. The monitoring
station is several hops away so 'local span' doesn't seem like an option
because that switch also only has a single 10g uplink twords my
monitoring station (deeper in the network) and from my understanding of
the documentation, I would have to devote the entire interface to being
the destination for the span traffic, cutting off the switch in the
process. It would be acceptable to dump the replicated traffic into a
vlan on the me3600 so I could then transport that, but this doesn't see
possible either.

     So in essence, if I want to monitor traffic on an me3600x - in an
environment that will not allow a PC or any other non-nebs3 /
non-neg48vdc powered / non-authorized device vendor equipment - I need
to find a way to transport it out of there, and that looks like setting
up a completely new gigE link specifically for that one purpose. Could I
perhaps cheat, and loop the me3600x back to itself? Say, one gigE port
as the span destination, and then loopback cable it to another port
which is then EoMPLS back to my monitoring station?? This is wasteful of
ports but is more doable than a dedicated 1g link for traffic monitoring
purposes, if it would work.

Mike-